Way back in January 2013 I put together a list of books to read this year. So far I’m doing pretty lousy as only the first on the list is done. However I have made time to read and quite by chance I have found some really good titles.
- The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- The Tenant – Roland Topor
- Communion Town – Sam Thompson
- Then – Julie Myerson
- The Lighthouse – Alison Moore
All seem to have rememberance and urban/travel at their heart. I also started to read as I thought it would be my cup of tea, but gave up 1/3 the way
- The Existential Detective – Alice Thompson
The biggest change to my reading habits from when I was younger is that nowadays I will give a book a few chapters and if it doesn’t grab me in the way expected then it gets ditched and I’m onto the next book. Life is too short to struggle through a book just to feel you have given it the fairest chance.
I have just started The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway and have these books ready to go:
- The Secret History of Moscow – Ekaterina Sedia
- The Waves – Virginia Woolf
- Paris Peasant – Aragon
- The Mezzanine – Nicholson Baker
- The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis – Jose Saramago
All apparently ‘experimental’ just the way I like them. How experimental I will soon find out.